1. Ask yourself two essential questions:
Question 1: What do you really want to do ?
Think of it like this. The audience is at point A and you need to get them to point B.
Question 2: What do you want them to say about you?
2. Ask yourself – What is on the audience’s minds?
3. Remember WIIFY ( What’s in it for you )
Think of the audience as saying “What’s In It For Me?
Consider the audience benefits and make sure you state them.
4. Consider your main message/s. This is essential.
5. Consider audience differences (age, background, culture, knowledge levels)
6. Now collect and collate your material with all of this in mind.
7. Design the opening & ending.
8. Consider the questions you will be asked.
9. NOW, put it all together.
10. Delete the unnecessary parts.
Go through steps 1 -3 again to check you are on track for the whole point of the presentation.
11. Rehearse and time yourself.
12. Prepare for their questions by writing a list of likely questions and your answers. Include the really tricky ones.